Articles in press

Previous issues

Effect of inbreeding on the longevity of Landrace sows

Download paper Ver Versión Española

Authors: J. Casellas, L. Varona, N. Ibáñez-Escriche, J.L. Noguera
Issue: 104-2 (175-179)
Topic: Animal Production
Keywords: Asymmetry, Inbreeding, Landrace, Survival analysis

Inbreeding is a biological phenomenon of special relevance in domestic species, where the overall inbreeding coefficient can be partitioned in founder-specific partial inbreeding (PI) coefficients. Taking longevity data of 4,226 Landrace sows as starting point, this research proposed alternative parameterization for PI effects under Weibull proportional hazard models, and compared their performance through the deviance information criterion (DIC). Three different a priori distributions were assumed for PI effects, asymmetric normal (DIC = 55,064.6), symmetric normal (DIC = 55,069.2) and flat (DIC = 55,077.9). Additionally, the standard model accounting for the overall inbreeding coefficient was clearly discarded (DIC = 55,078.4). For the model with asymmetric Gaussian prior, the posterior distribution of PI effects was clearly skewed. An 85.15% of the estimates showed negative effect on sow longevity whereas the remaining 14.85% ones had null or even positive effect on sow survival. Estimated heritability was 0.159.

Back to Issue 104-2


 -   -   -   -   -   -   -